Back

Bazylika Mniejsza św. Andrzeja Apostoła Olkusz

Basilica Minor of St. Andrzej Apostol Olkusz

Basilica Minor of St. Andrzej Apostol Olkusz
Open:
Dostępność: Tak
Uwagi nt. dostępności: Grupy mogą zwiedzać bazylikę po telefonicznym uzgodnieniu.
Szpitalna 1, 32-300 Olkusz Region turystyczny: Jura Krakowsko- Częstochowska
Tourist subregion: Krakowski
tel. +48 326430891
tel. +48 326431520
kancelaria@bazylika.pl www.bazylika.pl
Parking: Car park
Facilities at cultural sites: Photographing allowed
Type of historical sites: Sanctuaries and cult destinations
An unusual place and a memento of Olkusz’s rich past in the Basilica of St. Andrew, whose soaring Gothic shape has towered over the city for ages.
The first mention of the Olkusz church is dated at 1317. However, the oldest part of the temple built in the late Roman style was erected as early as the 13th century. It forms the current presbytery. The church was expanded in the Gothic style under the reign of King Casimir III the Great. At that time, a nave and two aisles of equal height supported by huge eight-side pillars and covered with a cross-ribbed vault were built. At the end of the 16th century, the reconstruction of the church started. In 1620, the Renaissance Loretto Chapel, called also “Amendzińska”, modelled on the Sigismund Chapel at Wawel, was erected. A large and small church-porch were added at that time, too. At the end of the 18th century, the Chapel of Saint John Cantius was built near the church; in 1913, a 63 metres tall neo-Gothic bell tower was erected.
Play Play