Plac Centralny, Kraków Tourist subregion: Krakowski
Facilities at cultural sites: Photographing allowed
Nowa Huta, former industrial district of Kraków, was the pride of the Social Realist era in Poland.
The construction work started in 1949 in the village of Mogiła and it was there that the first block of flats (No. 14, Wanda Housing Estate) was built. In 1953-1956 the Social realist district was extended and most of the buildings were erected. The steelworks covering a vast area, was built between 1949-1954. Today, the oldest part, namely the Central Square, with its Social realist buildings and the nearby agglomerations of blocks, along with the administration centre of the former Tadeusz Sędzimir Steelworks and the meadows are under the protection of the Conservation Officer. Hovever, Nowa Huta means not only Social Realist architecture, but also the Cistercian monastery in Mogiła, as well as a historical wooden church dating from the 15th century, Jan Matejko’s Manor House, the fortifications and the Wanda Mound. Legend has it that this mound, built ca. 7th/8th centuries, was the grave of Wanda, the daughter of Prince Krak, who was the founder of Kraków.