Back

Sanktuarium MB Częstochowskiej Skomielna Czarna

The Shrine of Our Lady of Częstochowa, Skomielna Czarna

The Shrine of Our Lady of Częstochowa, Skomielna Czarna
Skomielna Czarna 240, 32-437 Skomielna Czarna Tourist subregion: Krakowski
tel. +48 123732161
www.skomielnaczarna.kapucyni.pl
Facilities at cultural sites: Photographing allowed
Type of historical sites: Sanctuaries and cult destinations
In Skomielna, near the Parish Church of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary and the Capuchin Monastery, is the Shrine of Our Lady of Częstochowa.
The copy of the image of Black Madonna from Jasna Góra which is worshipped here used to be until 1946 in Kołomyja - then the capital of the Pokucie Region (now Ukraine) and part of Poland’s eastern provinces. The faithful would come to visit the painting of Our Lady kept for many centuries in the Dominican Church. The image was destroyed in one of the numerous raids by Cossacks or Tatars. In 1635, it was replaced by a copy of the image of the Black Madonna of Jasna Góra, as, according to legend, both paintings were made at the same time and both were brought to Poland by Prince Władysław Opolczyk. After WWII, the image was brought to Poland in secret by Poles repatriated from Kołomyja. The icon was kept in Krakow’s Capuchin Monastery until 1956 when it was transferred to Skomielna. In 1993, a copy of the image of Mary was placed in the church in Kołomyja, recovered by Catholics. Two feasts are observed in Skomielna Czarna: the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary (on the 31st May) and of Our Lady of Częstochowa (on the 26th of August).

There are no objects in the selected category.