Back

Zakopane – Pęksowy Brzyzek

Zakopane – Pęksowy Brzyzek

The Pęksowy Brzyzek cemetery at ul. Kościeliska is the oldest necropolis in Zakopane. It was founded ca. 1850 by Rev. Józef Stolarczyk. The name is derived from the name of Jan Pęksa, who had given the land for the cemetery where he was buried. In the highlanders’ dialect, “brzyzek”, “brzyzko” means “a cliff over the stream; a patch of land at the edge of the property”. At the cemetery, persons ofmerit for Zakopane, Podhale and entire Poland are buried, inter alia,: Rev. Józef Stolarczyk (the first parish-priest of Zakopane), Stanisław Marusarz and Helena Marusarzówna (eminent pre-war Olympians), Dr Andrzej Chramiec (founder of the medical establishment), Juliusz Zborowski (ethnographer of Podhale), Kazimierz Przerwa -Tetmajer (poet, whose ashes were transferred in 1986 from the Powązki Cemetery in Warsaw), Jan Krzeptowski (Sabała – the legendary highlander), Dr Tytus Chałubiński (co-founder of the Tatra Society), Stanisław Witkiewicz, Maciej Sieczka (one of the most famous 19th-century Tatra guides), Kornel Makuszyński. Most of the tombstones in the cemetery are richly decorated works of art made of wood, stone and metal. In front of the cemetery, there is the wooden church of Our Lady of Częstochowa, the oldest church in Zakopane.

Multimedia

Play Play