Back

Owczary, Orthodox Church of the Protection of the Virgin Mary

Owczary, Orthodox Church of the Protection of the Virgin Mary

The Orthodox church in Owczary (presently used by the Roman Catholic and Greek Catholic parishes) is one of the oldest of Lemko churches. It was erected in 1653, which is noted by the date carved in the western portal of the nave.Although only the aforementioned nave and portal remain from the original construction (the chancel and the sacristy were added in 1701, while the tower was built in 1783), the body of the building is profoundly beautiful. Already from a distance, one can see the polygonal roofs crowned with bulbous helms with false lanterns. The church also has precious furnishings, particularly the 17th century iconostasis. The church premises are surrounded with a stone wall incorporating a brick gate-belfry.

Orthodox Church of the Protection of the Virgin Mary, Owczary, Sękowa parish, phone number: +48 18 351 8169; opening hours: May–Sept, Fri 12pm–4pm, Sat 10am–2pm, Sun 12pm–4pm.

Other local attractions
Orthodox church in Bielanka from around 1773 located on the Wooden Architecture Route and featuring a very beautiful iconostasis from 1783.
Shelter on Magura Małastowska, which can be reached by taking a walk from Owczary

Play Play