Back

Kraków-Mogiła, Church of St. Bartholomew

Kraków-Mogiła, Church of St. Bartholomew

The church in Kraków-Mogiła dates back to 1466, which makes it one of the oldest surviving churches in Małopolska. Even the name of its creator survives. He was the royal carpenter by the name of Maciej Mączka (as announced by the inscription carved on the southern portal of the church). The slender building has no towers, while the 18th century wooden belfry standing right next to it has a dome-shaped helmet. The church premises are entered through the belfry. In the 18th century, side chapels and a multi-storey sacristy were added to the church, which altered somewhat the simple medieval form of the building. The interior of the church is interesting. It features three naves, which was very rare among the known Gothic wooden churches in Małopolska. Although the furnishings and the polychrome come from the 18th century, the ogival arcades between the naves and the carved portal are from the time when the church was originally built.

Church of St. Bartholomew, ul. Klasztorna 11, Kraków, phone: +48 12 644 2331, 644 6992; opening hours: May–Sep, Fri 12pm–4pm, Sat 10am–2pm, Sun 12pm–4pm 

Other local attractions
Cistercian Abbey in Kraków-Mogiła – one of Kraków’s oldest sacred complexes in from 1225.
Renaissance lamus (storehouse) next to the manor in Branice, with an exhibition of the Archaeological Museum in Kraków devoted to prehistoric pottery.

 

Play Play