The Podgórski Cemetery, located at the foot of the Krakus mound, was built in 1900. Expanded several times, it has reached its current area (approx. 8 ha). In its territory, apart from graves of civil and military persons, attention should be paid to the monuments erected on the graves of Legionaries of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Brigade, Austrian soldiers or Boy Scouts killed during the occupation. Famous persons rest here, inter alia, E. Dembowski together with the insurgents of 1846, A. Mateczny, W. Bednarski. The necropolis is located on the Cultural Route of Cemeteries of the Council of Europe.
The oldest necropolis in the city founded in 1801-2. In 1920, the military cemetery (Prandoty) with the graves of Polish, Soviet, British and German soldiers was attached to it. It covers an area of more than 42 ha. It is the place of rest of Krakow citizens and honoured persons, inter alia, J. Dietl, L. Rydel, H. Jordan, K. Olszewski, J. Matejko, H. Modrzejewska, Estreicher family, T. Kantor or M. Grechuta. The object on the route „In the Footsteps of John Paul II in Krakow” due to the fact that the parents and brother of the Pope were buried there.
Salwatorski Cemetery in Krakow
The Salwatorski Cemetery was founded in 1865 as the parish cemetery for residents of the Krakow suburbs. In 1889, the Neo-Gothic St. Joseph chapel was built. Due to its picturesque location, the cemetery quickly became the place of rest for many artists, writers and academics. The most famous include: W. Dymny, M. Kotlarczyk, W. Lutosławski, J. Osterwa, T. Wyspiańska, J. Sztaudynger, J. Meissner, E. Romer, K. Wyka, S. Lem.
In the basement of the Wawel Royal Cathedral, there are the crypts with the ashes of the Polish kings and their families, from the times of King Sigismund I the Old, with the exception of the last three monarchs. The St. Leonard crypt is the place of rest of Tadeusz Kościuszko, Gen. Władysław Sikorski; the crypt under the Silver Bell Tower – of Marshal Józef Piłsudski and President Lech Kaczyński and his wife. In the National Bards Crypt, there are the sarcophagi of Adam Mickiewicz, Juliusz Słowacki and the urn with the ashes of Cyprian Kamil Norwid.
National Pantheon in Skałka
Between the stairs leading to the Pauline Church in Skałka, in 1882 the National Pantheon was established as a mausoleum of the prominent Poles. Here, the ashes of: Jan Długosz, Wincenty Pol, Lucjan Siemieński, Józef Ignacy Kraszewski, Adam Asnyk, Teofil Lenartowicz, Stanisław Wyspiański, Jacek Malczewski, Henryk Siemiradzki, Karol Szymanowski, Tadeusz Banachiewicz, Ludwik Solski and Czesław Miłosz are buried.
Pantheon in the St. Peter and Paul’s Church
The National Pantheon in Krakow is a new place of rest for the prominent Polish creators of culture, science and art. It is to consist of the reconstructed crypts of the St. Peter and Paul’s Church along with the planned new building next to the temple. The first part of the Pantheon was opened in 2012, on the 400th death anniversary of Rev. Piotr Skarga, resting in the basement of the church. The decision about future funerals in the Pantheon will be made by the appointed Chapter.